Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day 2008

Waiting for the returns...

I was sitting here thinking of Barack Obama and reasons why I like him. My thoughts then drifted to Bill Cosby, whom I consider to be one of America's great fathers.

Having come a generation before Obama, I wondered how much of a racial path Cosby helped clear for Obama with the masses. How much of a social impact has Cosby made on American perceptions to help get us here to this moment? More than being a master comedian for decades, Cosby is brilliant in the field of child psychology and an excellent example for all of God's children.

He pisses a lot of people off with his lectures and sermonizing, but I love him. I grew up watching Fat Albert when I was a little kid; watching the jell-o commercials; watching the Cosby Show through my teens; and A Different World into my early 20's. (And I still watch reruns!)

Those years watching Dr. Huxtable and his family, filled something in for me in the absence of my own father (who died when I was five). I saw a show with a strong, funny, present father and I loved it. It was always funny and socially relevant (without seeming to try). No wonder it was universally popular.

To this day, the Cosby show is one of America's favorite TV shows in history. Its social impact on young Americans was massive. In the spirit of Cosby's greatness and example, here's hoping Obama gets elected tonight and becomes the great and impactful president I think will be!

No comments: